Resveratrol is found in the skin of red grapes and in large part is the reason why red wine has been touted as being so healthy. But before you reach for the bottle of merlot, you can skip the alcohol and sulfites that aren’t beneficial and instead get a concentrated dose of resveratrol in supplement form.
There are many benefits to resveratrol, and to date there are over 3,000 research studies on its effectiveness. Benefits include:
- Neutralization of free radicals and slowing the development of damaging AGE proteins that can lead to cellular aging
- Reduced inflammation within the cardiovascular system, which in turn leads to a decreased risk of heart disease and stroke
- Protection and repair of cellular DNA which is important in the prevention and treatment of problems that range from premature aging to cancers
- Lower rate of telomere shortening (telomere shortening is connected with increased incidence of diseases such as cancer and shorter life spans in general)
- Preventative against insulin resistance, diabetes, and diseases associated with obesity