Detoxification is a term that speaks to your body’s ability to remove toxins through the GI tract, liver and kidneys. If these organ systems are overloaded with toxins and can’t clear them effectively, your body will try to remove them through your skin. And, if your detoxification areas are unable to handle toxins appropriately, toxins can be stored in fat cells or lymph. If this is happening in you, you may find it very difficult to lose weight. Toxins can also affect brain function, and lead to symptoms like fatigue, brain fog, and headaches.
There are many “cleanses” out there that promise to detoxify your liver and GI tract. But before you start some strange diet and a handful of supplements that may or may not actually be helpful — and may or may not actually be HARMFUL — let’s get some information first.
Is toxicity actually an issue for you? Is it primarily your GI tract or liver that is overburdened? And most importantly: WHAT’S CAUSING THE TOXIC OVERLOAD IN THE FIRST PLACE? Is it heavy metals? Toxins released from harmful bacteria that your immune system can’t eradicate? Exposure to environmental or occupational chemicals that your immune system can’t tolerate? Addressing the underlying cause is always the best way to get the best result.
Knowledge is power. Don’t embark of the latest trendy cleanse or diet unless you are armed with the facts of what is actually happening in YOUR body.
Symptoms of Toxicity May Include:
- Brain fog
- Inability to lose weight or gain weight
- Inability to absorb nutrients
- Inability to tolerate smells
- Autoimmunity or low immune tolerance
- Accelerated aging, or early degenerative diseases in the brain, joints, or eyes
Testing May Include:
- Heavy metals (immune tolerance to and excretion rate of)
- Chemical immune tolerance
- Environmental and occupational chemicals
- Xenotoxins and other endocrine disruptors such as BPA
- GI function
- Liver function
- Kidney function
- Immune System and Pathogen testing
Contact Dr. Engelbart now for more information.